Snapchat and instagram stories are a good way to get your message across. It is a good alternative to making a video and also better than using individual pictures on your timeline. The two have been well receipted by users of bot apps. Most of the users are personal users who use to share photos with their friends about adventures they have had and how their day was like. In such a case, the different disadvantages of the individual apps may not factor as much into the decision on which to use. However, for someone promoted a brand using the stories, it is important to clearly understand the downside to both.
The downside to using Snapchat stories plays include;
- Snapchat is mainly a snap and upload application. It has a Snapchat memory feature where you can upload a previously captured shot but this feature is not mainly used by many people. This thus limits you as you have to be present when the Snapchat story is being done.
- Due to the above mentioned feature, it is very hard to upload quality content on Snapchat as you do not get to pre-edit before uploading. There are filters to use but these can only do so much. If you are looking to promote a business or a brand, it may be hard to pick Snapchat stories plays as one of your best brand awareness points.
- Snapchat does not give out a lot of analytics. You can be able to see the retention rate for your audience as well as the number of people who have viewed your story and how many times it has been viewed. However, that is pretty much all it does. It does not show you how many followers you have or even the demographics on the people following you. It is thus hard for a user looking to use it for brand promotion.
- Snapchat does not have likes or share features. This makes it hard for someone to find your account on Snapchat. Brand visibility is thus limited.
The downside to using instagram stories plays include;
- The analytics for instagram are also not well defined. They only show how many people have viewed the stories and their details. However, this is not enough for a business as one need to calculate whether the marketing strategy (i.e. the use of instagram stories) is eliciting the desired results.
- The length of time is too short. Instagram stories plays are short with 3 seconds for images and 10 seconds for videos. This causes users to use a lot of images which eventually make watching the whole story very tedious. It also limits how much information you can pass across in one image.
- Instagram stories are less popular. A lot of users of stories are millenials who have been seen to prefer Snapchat. The use of instagram stories as a main brand awareness strategy has less likelihood of being played. However since it is a new feature, it is not definite how it will be receipted over time.